Nicholas County is named for George Nicholas, who was a colonel during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: December 18, 1799
Lower Blue Licks 1800 – 1805
Ellisville 1805 – 1816
Carlisle 1816 – present
County Courthouse – Carlisle
Location: 125 East Main Street / North Locust Street
Built: 1892 – 1893
Style: Romanesque and Second Empire
Contractor: James George and Robert George
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The south front has a projecting center section with large stone trimmed arch on the first story. Above is a high stone trimmed arch with windows on the second and third stories. Above,rises a two story clock tower with dome at the top. The corners of the building are trimmed with stone as are the headers on the windows. The roof is sloped and the foundation is stone. The stone mason was Max Metzer. The building was remodeled in 1974 and in 1997.
Note: The first court met at the home of Martin Baker, Jr. at Lower Blue Licks in 1800 and later that year a courthouse was built at Blue Licks. In 1805, a courthouse was built at Ellisville. In 1818 and 1844, courthouses were built at Carlisle.
E – Fleming County
S – Bath County
W – Bourbon County
Photos taken 2007 and 2014