Robertson County

US States / H-L / Kentucky / Robertson County
0531WV12

Robertson County is named for George Robertson, who was chief justice of the Kentucky Court of Appeals.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Bracken County

E – Mason County and Fleming County

S – Nicholas County

W – Harrison County

 

Created:  February 11, 1868                   Map of Kentucky highlighting Robertson County

County Seat: 

Mount Olivet   1868 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mount Olivet  

 

Location:  26 Court Street / East Walnut Street

Built:  1870 – 1872

Style:  Federalist

Architect:  G W Williams

Contractor:  G W Williams

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The building is located on the summit of a hill on spacious landscaped grounds on the southeast side of the center of Mount Olivet with the County Justice Center on the east side and the County Administration Building on the west side. The foundation is of roughly finished limestone, and the bricks, which were fired on the site and are laid in common bond. The south front has a central entrance on the first story with Victorian double doors and with arched windows on each side. The second story has smaller arched windows with a small peak at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white wood bell tower. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the courtroom occupies most of the first story. The original spectators’ and jurors’ benches, the judge’s podium, and the heavy wooden railing are much intact. Overhead is an impressive embossed metal ceiling. 

 

Note:  The courthouse is the first and only courthouse to serve Robertson County. The contract was awarded to G.M. Williams, a local builder, who was also credited with its design. Mid-way through construction the city found they did not have the funds to complete the project so the F. & A.M. Masons Blue Lodge Chapter donated the money for the second story which was reserved for there use. At the time of construction the courthouse was said to be the only brick structure in the county.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Robertson County Courthouse

 

County Justice Center – Mount Olivet  

 

941k18

 

Location:  26 Court Street / East Walnut Street

Built:  2009 – 2010

Style:  Modern

Architect:  GWR, Inc

Contractor:  Trace Creek Company of Vanceburg.

 

Description:  The building faces east and  On the east side is a new one story addition. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in Mount Olivet with the courthouse on the west side. The east front has an arched entrance towards the south side and an entrance on the south side. The roof is hipped. The interior has a courtroom. 

 

See:  The contractor, Trace Creek Construction Inc. also constructed the justice centers in Bracken CountyFleming County and Lewis County.

 

See:  The 18th Judicial Circuit includes Harrison County, Nicholas CountyPendleton County and Robertson County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1868 and Mount Olivet was selected as the county seat. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1870 to 1872. The County Justice Center was constructed in 2009 to 2010.

 

 

0530wv12

County Courthouse - Mount Olivet 

 

 

938k18

 

 

0536wv12

 

 

0532wv12

 

 

940k18

 

 

0535wv12

 

 

0534wv12

County Justice Center - Mount Olivet 

 

 

943k18

 

 

942k18

 

 

0539wv12

 

 

0538wv12

County Administration Building -  Mount Olivet 

 

 

0537wv12

 

 

935k18

Photos taken 2012 and 2018