Shelby County is named for Isaac Shelby, who was Governor of Kentucky from 1792 to 1796 and from 1812 to 1816.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Spencer County
W – Jefferson County
Created: June 23, 1792
Shelbyville 1792 – present
County Courthouse – Shelbyville
Location: 501 Main Street / 5th Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Beaux Arts
Architect: Joseph & Joseph of Louisville
Contractor: Falls City Construction Company of Louisville
Description: The building faces south and is a two story stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Shelbyville. On the south front is a Corinthian order portico with six large Corinthian columns. The entrance is recessed and has small header over the doorway treated with an entablature and pediment. Above each of the central three windows of the second story is a medallion enriched with wreaths and cornucopia. The projecting pediment is treated with dentils, modillions, acroteria and antefixae. In its center are scales of justice and cornucopia in relief. A decorative cornice runs along the roof line. The east and west facades are equally rich. Each -has a recessed portion in the center with a pediment much like that of the south facade. Scrolled brackets with elaborate drip-stones below support a modillioned and denticulated cornice. Windows in the recessed portion’s second story have semi-circular heads whereas all others are rectangular. The interior has egg-and-dart molding and pilasters of marble veneer with Ionic capitals of plaster abound throughout. A notable cast-iron staircase is at the north end of the first story and numerous doors are enframed by Greek keys of stained oak. The courtroom on the second story with its coffered, pressed-tin ceiling and Ionic pilasters has remained relatively unchanged.
See: The contractor Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky
County Judicial Center – Shelbyville
Location: 401 Main Street / 4th Street
Built: 2007 – 2009
Architect: CMW, Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: Codell Construction Company of Winchester.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Shelbyville to the east of the courthouse. The south front has a series of arches along the first story with a projecting central section having a large arched entrance with pediment at the second story. The building rises to another pediment rising above the flat roof line. The building has recessed sections above the first story.
See: The contractor was Codell Construction Company of Winchester which company constructed many courthouse in Kentucky ( see Louisville ).
History: The county was created in 1792 and Shelbyville was selected as the county seat. The first court met at the home of Bracket Owen. The first courthouse was a log structure built by William Shannon at a cost of fifteen pounds. The second courthouse was a brick structure designed by Mr Hunter and constructed by Josiah Bullock and Wingfield Bullock in 1796 at a cost of eleven hundred and seventy-six pounds. The third courthouse was built in 1814. The fourth courthouse was built by Thomas B Caldwell in 1844. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1912 to 1913.
County Courthouse - Shelbyville
County Judicial Center - Shelbyville
Pictures taken 2007 and 2018