Woodford County is named for William Woodford, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: November 12, 1788
Versailles 1788 – present
County Courthouse – Versailles
Location: 103 South Main Street / South Court Street
Built: 1968 – 1970
Style: Modern Georgian
Architect: Clotfelter & Johnson
Contractor: The Gault Brothers Construction of Lexington
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. On the east front is a two story portico with six large columns supporting the pediment which contains a design at the center. Steps on the north and south ascend to the second story portico. On the center of the roof is a high white colored square cupola with clock at the base and green colored roof with weather vane at the top.
Note: The first courthouse was built of logs in 1790 by Jesse Graddy at a cost was $22.50. The second courthouse was built of stone in 1794 by James and Henry Thompkins. The third courthouse was built of brick in 1812 to 1813 and a cupola with clock added by 1846. The courthouse was designed by Phelix L Lundin and constructed by Matthew Jett. The building burned in 1965. The fourth courthouse was constructed at a cost of $1,100,000.
County Courthouse Annex – Versailles
Location: 130 Court Street / South Main Street
Built: 1997 – 1998
Architect: CMW Inc. of Lexington
Contractor: CMW/CM Inc.. of Lexington
Description: The building faces east and is a one story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the west side of the courthouse. The east front has a large extended central porch supported by red colored brick pillars with recessed entrance with glass walls. The green colored hipped roof has a square white colored cupola with green colored roof.
S – Mercer County
County Courthouse Annex
Photos taken 2007 and 2018