Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: December 7, 1794
Frankfort 1794 – present
County Courthouse – Frankfort
Location: 218 Saint Clair Street / West Main Street
Built: 1832 – 1835
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Gideon Shryock of Louisville
Contractor: Gideon Shryock of Louisville
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored brick structure. The east front has a high portico supported by four large columns. Atop the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola rising in tiers with a clock on the second tier. In 1909, the building was expanded by thirty feet. Other renovations were made in 1927 and 1949. The administration wing is along the north side.
Note: The present courthouse was constructed of stone, quarried from land owned by Phillip Swigert. In the cupola, stands a clock purchased in Philadelphia by the City of Frankfort.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1806. The Hiram Lodge had been granted permission to construct the third floor of the courthouse in 1806, at their own expense, for use as a Mason Hall.
See: The architect, Gideon Shryock of Louisville, designed the courthouse in Jefferson County.
E – Scott County
W – Shelby County
Courthouse in 2007 before the addition
Photos taken 2007 and 2018