Hamilton County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Hamilton County
Hamilton

Hamilton County is named for Alexander Hamilton ( 1757-1804 ), Revolutionary War veteran, author of The Federalist, and the first Secretary of the Treasury for the United States.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Greeley County

E – Kearny County

S – Stanton County

W – Prowers County, Colorado

 

Created:  March 6, 1873                         Map of Kansas highlighting Hamilton County

County Seat:

Kendal       1886 – 1888

Coolidge    1888

Syracuse   1888 – present

 

County Courthouse – Syracuse  

 

Location:  219 North Main Street / Avenue East

Built:  1938

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  H G Overend & C F Boucher of Wichita

Contractor:  Frank E Blaser

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a rectangular two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Syracuse. On the west front is white colored stone trim and pilasters with trim around the central entrance. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the large courtroom is located along the east side of the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 25th Judicial District. This building was a Federal Emergency Administration of Public Works project. 

 

See:  The architect, Overend & Boucher of Wichita, designed courthouses in Kearny County and Washington County.

 

See:  The 25th Judicial District includes Finney CountyGreeley CountyKearney CountyScott County and Wichita County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1873 and Kendal was selected as the county seat in 1886 when the county was organized. In 1888, Coolidge won the vote for county seat, but Syracuse was named as the county seat. The first courthouse was a two story structure designed by W T Hears and built in 1887. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1937 to 1938.

 

 

0392nm07

County Courthouse – Syracuse  

 

 

0394nm07

 

 

0393nm07

Photos taken 2007