Prowers County is named for John W Prowers, who was a pioneer in the lower Arkansas River valley.
Created: April 11, 1889
Lamar 1889 – present
County Courthouse – Lamar
Location: 301 South Main Street / East Oak Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Neo-Classical Revival
Architect: Robert K Fuller of Denver
Contractor: A E Danielson & Sons of Denver
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray Indiana limestone and granite structure. The west front has a framed entrance in the center of the first story. Vertical dividers separate the vertical windows. The wide cornice follows the flat roof line.
Note: The entry interior features friezes depicting the registered cattle brands in Prowers County at the time of the building’s construction.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Bulger & Rapp and constructed in 1890.
N – Kiowa County
S – Baca County
W – Bent County
Photos taken 2006