Grant County is named for General Ulysses S Grant ( 1822-1885 ), the 18th president of the United States.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Kearny County
E – Haskell County
S – Stevens County
W – Stanton County
Created: March 20, 1873
Ulysses 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Ulysses
Location: 108 South Glenn Street / West Grant Avenue
Built: 1930 – 1931
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Smith and English of Hutchinson
Contractor: J M Fuller of Winfield
Description: The building faces west and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is rectangular and is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Ulysses. The west front has the entrance in the center with a wide staircase and stone trim above the entrance. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building houses the County District Court of the 26th Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1873 and Ulsses was selected as the county seat in 1888 when the county was organized. The first courthouse in 1888 was the two story frame Opera House built in 1887. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1930 to 1931.
County Courthouse - Ulysses.
Photos taken 2007