Stanton County is named for M Edwin Stanton ( 1814-1869 ), who was Secretary of War from 1862 to 1868.
Created: March 6, 1873
Johnson City 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Johnson City
Location: 201 North Main Street / East Sherman Avenue
Built: 1926 – 1927
Architect: Smith & English of Hutchison
Contractor: S S Strong of Beaver, Oklahoma
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The west front has four large white colored columns supporting a white colored portico over the entrance which has a wide staircase.
N – Hamilton County
E – Grant County
S – Morton County
Photos taken 2007