Decatur County is named for Commodore Stephen Decatur, who was a distinguished naval office of the United States.
Created: March 20, 1873
Oberlin 1879 – present
County Courthouse – Oberlin
Location: 120 East Hall Street / North Griffith Street
Built: 1926 – 1927
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Squires & Ross
Contractor: Cork & Ferrier
Description: The building faces south and is a three story dark red colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. Along the south front are six large columns rising from the second to third story. The entrance has a stone framed door. The first story has horizontal stone. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse – Oberlin
Location: 187 South Penn Street / West Hall Street
Built: 1886 – 1887
Architect: Mr. White
Contractor: Mr. White
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located in the center of the city to the west of the courthouse and was constructed for the Bank of Oberlin. The building was used as the courthouse from 1896 until 1926 and the building is now the Landmark Inn.
N – Red Willow County, Nebraska
E – Norton County
W – Rawlins County
Photos taken 2007