Phillips County is named for William Phillips, who was a free-state martyr, murdered September 1, 1856, in Leavenworth.
Created: February 26, 1867
Phillipsburg 1872 – present
County Courthouse – Phillipsburg
Location: 301 State Street / 3rd Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Architect: R A Curtis ( Curtis Engineering Company )
Contractor: Cuthbert & Sons
Description: The building faces west and is a three story white colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. On each of the four sides of the building are two large columns rising from the second to third story with a clock above. The main entrance is on the west side. The roof line is flat.
E – Smith County
W – Norton County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010