Norton County is named for Orloff Norton, who was captain of Company L, fifteenth Kansas cavalry, killed at Cane Hill, Arkansas on October 29, 1865.
Created: March 20, 1873
Norton 1882 – present
County Courthouse – Norton
Location: 101 South Kansas Avenue / East Main Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Cuthbert & Suehrk of Topeka
Contractor: Gurtler & Company of Topeka
Description: The building faces south and is a three story brown colored brick and stone structure. Along the south front are four large columns rising from the second to third story. The entrance has three stone framed doors. The first story has a white stone base.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Kuhn & Waller and constructed in 1888. The building was destroyed by fire in 1926.
N – Furnas County, Nebraska
E – Phillips County
W – Decatur County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010