Smith County is named for J Nelson Smith, who was part of the 2nd Colorado Cavalry and who was killed at the Battle of Little Blue during the American Civil War.
Created: February 26, 1867
Smith Center 1872 – present
County Courthouse – Smith Center
Location: 218 South Grant Street / West Court Street
Built: 1918 – 1920
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Thomas W Williamson & Company of Topeka
Contractor: M C Brady
Description: The building faces west and is a three story square shaped limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and has columns rising from the second story to the third story. There is a small pediment over the entrance. The cornice protrudes from the building and there is a balustrade along the roof with clock in the center section. The first story has horizontal bands of limestone. The roof line is flat.
E – Jewell County
S – Osborne County
W – Phillips County
Photos taken 2006 and 2019\0