Graham County

US States / H-L / Kansas / Graham County
Graham

Graham County is named for Captain John L Graham, of the eight regiment, Kansas infantry, who was killed at Chickamauga, Tennessee, September 19, 1863.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Norton County

E – Rooks County

S – Trego County

W – Sheridan County

 

Created:  February 26, 1867                  Map of Kansas highlighting Graham County

County Seat:

Millbrook  1880 – 1887

Hill City    1887 – present

 

County Courthouse – Hill City  

 

Location:  410 North Pomeroy Street / East McFarland Street

Built:  1957 – 1958

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Mann and Company of Hutchinson

Contractor:  Mann and Company of Hutchinson

 

Description: The building faces south and is a one story structure with glass and concrete construction. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Hill City. The main entrance is on the south side with a glass entrance hall. The east front extends south from the main building. The roof of the center section is higher than the rest of the building. The roof line is flat.  

 

Built in 1957, the modern building is a one story with glass and concrete construction. The building faces south and was completed in 1958. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of Hill City. The main entrance is on the south side with a glass entrance hall. The east front extends south from the main building. The roof of the center section is higher than the rest of the building. The roof line is flat. The courtroom is located at the northwest corner. The building houses the County District Court of the 17th Judicial District. 

 

See:  The architect,  Mann & Company of Hutchinson, designed courthouses in Ellis County, Ellsworth CountyLane County, Pratt County, Republic County, Scott County, Stafford County and Stevens County.

 

See:  The 17th Judicial District includes Decatur CountyNorton CountyOsborne County, Phillips County and Smith County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1867 and Millbrook was selected as the county seat in 1880 when the county was organized. The county used rented premises. Millbrook was destroyed by a tornado on August 4, 1887 and the county seat was moved to Hill City. The first courthouse was a two story structure constructed by James P Pomeroy and W R Hill in Hill City in 1888. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1957 to 1958.

 

 

0282nm07

County Courthouse – Hill City

 

 

0283nm07

 

 

0284nm07

Photos taken 2007