Henry County is named for Henry Dodge, who was the governor of the Wisconsin Territory or for James Dougherty Henry, who was a general in the Black Hawk War.
Created: December 7, 1836
Mount Pleasant 1837 – present
County Courthouse – Mount Pleasant
Location: 100 East Washington Street / South Main Street
Built: 1912 – 1914
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: J W Royer of Urbana, Illinois
Contractor: English Brothers of Champaign, Illinois
Description: The building faces north and is a two story stone structure. The central section extends from the main building and has a stone framed doorway with small pediment above. Four large columns rise from the first story to the top of the second story. The foundation is horizontal stonework. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1837 by George W Patterson, Levi Hagar and Everett Rogers. The second courthouse was built in 1870 as the Hill Block.
S – Lee County
Photos taken 2008