Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: January 25, 1839
Washington 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Washington
Location: 224 West Main Street / North B Avenue
Built: 1885 – 1887
Architect: Foster & Liebbe
Contractor: Thomas Colwell and Hugh Colwell
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick structure. On the southwest corner is a large square brick clock tower rising six stories to a clock and steep roof. The tower houses a bell made of bronze, tin and brass. At the base is a pediment with a statue of Justice at the top. The south entrance projects from the building on the first story. The east section also projects and has a pitched roof line. There is stone trim along the windows. The foundation is a course white colored stone.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1839 at a cost of $759 and the second courthouse was built in 1847. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $75,000.
W – Keokuk County
Photos taken 2008 and 2012