Des Moines County is named for the Des Moines River which once flowed through the county, and “Des Moines” means the “Middle River” or the river between the Missouri River and the Mississippi River.
Created: September 6, 1834
Burlington 1843 – present
County Courthouse – Burlington
Location: 513 North Main Street / Court Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Keffer & Jones of Des Moines
Contractor: Paul Steenberg Construction Company of St. Paul, Minnesota.
Description: The building faces east and is a four story buff colored brick structure. The east front has a projecting center section with vertical brick dividers between the windows. The entrance on the first story is framed with limestone. There are horizontal bands of limestone. The roof line is flat. The building is a Works Projects Administration project.
Note: Marion Hall was leased to serve as the courthouse. In 1866, Mozart Hall was purchased as the second courthouse but the building burned in 1873. The third courthouse was designed by Perly Hale and constructed in 1882 at a cost of $130,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $280,000.
N – Louisa County
S – Lee County
W – Henry County
Photos taken 2008