Van Buren County is named for Martin Van Buren, who was President of the United States of America.
Created: December 7, 1836
Farmington 1837 – 1838
Keosauqua 1838 – present
County Courthouse – Keosauqua
Location: 406 Dodge Street / Broadway Street
Built: 1840 – 1843
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John Fairman and James Hall
Contractor: John Fairman and James Hall
Description: The building faces southeast and is a two story light red colored brick structure. One foot square oak timbers support the floor. The roof eaves extend out from the building. The windows have stone headers and lentils. The interior is finished in walnut. The courtroom is on the second story. Edwin Manning completed construction of the building from 1841 to 1843. On the west side is the new courthouse addition.
Note: The present courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Iowa.
N – Jefferson County
W – Davis County
Photos taken 2008