Lee County is named for Robert E Lee, who was a Confederate general in the Civil War, or for Lee, a family prominent in the New York Land Company who owned an interest in Half-Breed Tract in 1830.
Created: December 6, 1837
Fort Madison 1840 – 1843
West Point 1843 – 1847
Fort Madison 1847 – present ( north )
Keokuk 1847 – present ( south )
County Courthouse – Fort Madison
Location: 701 Avenue F / 7th Street
Built: 1841 – 1842
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Father Samuel Mazzuchelli
Contractor: Morrison, Ladd & Atlee
Description: The building faces south and is a two story redcolored brick and stone structure. The foundation is stone. On the south front are four large white columns supporting the extended roof with pediment. On the west side is the old jail,
Note: The first courthouse was built in West Point in 1841. The cost of construction of the 1842 courthouse in Fort Madison was $12,000. In 1876, the courthouse was completely overhauled and reconstructed. In 1911, fire damaged the courthouse, but insurance money was used to rebuild it that same year.
County Courthouse – Keokuk
Location: 25 7th Street / Blondeau Street
Built: 1889 – 1890
Architect: Mifflin Emien Bell
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick round arch structure. On the northeast corner is a high square brick clock tower with peaked roof. The west section has a third story with small arched windows. The foundation is course white stone. The building was constructed as the United States Post Office and was converted to the County Courthouse in 1992. The architect was The Design Partnership.
Note: The first courthouse was the Sanford Medical College designed by W A Rice erected in 1856. The building was sold to the county in 1859. In 1976, the old YMCA Building designed by Harry E Ratcliffe and constructed in 1912 to 1913 became the courthouse until 1992.
S – Clark County, Missouri