Muscatine County is named for the Muscatine Native American tribe, or for the Native American word for “prairie”.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
Created: December 7, 1836
Muscatine 1836 – present
County Courthouse – Muscatine
Location: 401 East 3rd Street / Walnut Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Joseph Eldred Mills of Detroit, Michigan
Contractor: W J McAlpine of Dixon, Illinois
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story stone and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. There is a central portico supported by four high columns rising from the second story to the pediment at the roof line. The north and south wings project from the main building. On the center of the roof is a high clock tower with open sides. The building houses the County District Court of the 7 Judicial District.
History: The county was created in 1836 and Muscatine ( Bloomington ) was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was built in Muscatine in 1840 at a cost of $15,000 and was destroyed by fire. The second courthouse was built by J C Farrand in 1867 at a cost of $29,000. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1907 to 1908.
County Administration – Muscatine
Location: 414 East 3rd Street / Walnut Street
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff colored brick structure.
County Courthouse - Muscatine
Photos taken 2008