Jackson County is named for Andrew Jackson, who was the 7th President of the United States from 1829 to 1837.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Clinton County
W – Jones County
Created: December 21, 1837
Bellevue 1837 – 1848
Andrew 1848 – 1851
Bellevue 1851 – 1861
Andrew 1861 – 1873
Maquoketa 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Maquoketa
Location: 201 West Platte Street / South 2nd Street
Built: 1958 – 1959
Architect: William J McNeil
Contractor: Roth and Associates
Description: The building faces aces south and is a one story concrete structure. The northwest section is a solid wall with the glass entrance adjacent with a dark blue ridged concrete section on the east. The roof line is flat. The building houses the County District Court of the 7 Judicial District.
Old County Courthouse - Bellevue
Location: 100 South 3rd Street / Court Street
Built: 1845 – 1846
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Dohaney & Jones
Contractor: Dohaney & Jones
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Bellevue. The building was used as a courthouse until 1861. The center section extends east with an arched entrance on the first story and with a pediment at the roof. The roof is hipped. The building is now an elementary school.
History: The county was created in 1837 and Bellevue was selected as the county seat. The county seat was moved to Andrew in 1841. The first courthouse was a log cabin built in Andrew in 1841. In 1851, the county seat was moved back to Bellevue. The second courthouse was built in Bellevue around 1848, and is still standing.. In 1861, the county seat was moved back to Andrew. The third courthouse was built in 1861 in Andrew. The county seat was moved to Maquoketa in 1873. The fourth courthouse was built in Maquoketa in 1873. This two-story stone building proved too small by 1938, and some county offices moved into other buildings until the fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1958 to 1959.
County Courthouse - Maquoketa
Photos taken 2008 and 2010