Will County is named for Dr. Conrad Will, who was a member of the Constitutional Convention and a member of the Illinois Legislature until his death in 1835.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Kankakee County
Created: January 12, 1836
Joliet 1836 – present
Old County Courthouse – Joliet
Location: 14 West Jefferson Street / South Ottawa Street
Built: 1967 – 1969
Architect: Otto Stark of C F Murphy Associates and Healy Moore & Associates
Contractor: Gawley Construction Company
Description: The building faces north and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The reinforced concrete building features first story 45 degree buttresses which support the upper stories. There is a projection from the main building on the east and west sides. The second story windows are small with larger windows on the third story and larger windows on the fourth story.
County Courthouse – Joliet
Location: 50 West Jefferson Street / South Ottawa Street
Built: 2018 – 2020
Architect: Wriht & Company
Contractor: Gilbane Building Company
Description: The building faces north and is a ten story concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Joliet. The projecting wall on the north side is glass panels. Along the east side of the north front is a two story projecting section. A low four story wing extends north also faced with glass panels. The roof line is flat. The building contains 38 courtrooms.
History: The county was created in 1836 and Joliet was selected as the county seat. The first court met in the Old Wilson Store in 1836. The first courthouse was built in 1837 and the second courthouse was built in 1873. The third courthouse was designed by John Cochrane and constructed by Sanger & Moody in 1884 to 1887. The fourth courthouse was constructed in 1967 to 1969. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 2017 to 2020 at a cost of $215,000,000.
Old County Courthouse - Joliet
Photos taken 2008