Kankakee County is named for the Potawatomi Indian tribe who lived in the area called the Kankakee River called the “Theatki” which evolved into “Kankakee”.
Created: February 11, 1853
Kankakee 1853 – present
County Courthouse – Kankakee
Location: 450 East Court Street / South Indiana Avenue
Built: 1909 – 1912
Style: Beaux Arts and Greek Revival
Architect: Zachary Taylor Davis of Chicago
Contractor: W F Stillwell
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored Bedford limestone structure. The north front has a large portico with three arches on the first story entrance. Above are two large columns rising to the top of the third story with recessed windows and a pediment at the roof level. Around the roof is a stone balustrade. In the center of the building is a large square stone dome with clock and green colored dome. The interior has marble and stained glass windows. There are hand painted murals in the rotunda. During construction of the building, the supervising engineer was Robert T Malcomb and the superintendent was Arthur Soupart.
N – Will County
Photos taken 2006, 2010 and 2011