Lake County

US States / H-L / Indiana / Lake County
Lake -O

Lake County is named for Lake Michigan which it  borders on the north.

 

Created:  January 28, 1836

County Seat:

Liverpool       1839 – 1840

Crown Point  1840 – present

 

Old County Courthouse – Crown Point

 

Location:  300 Courthouse Square / North Main Street

Built:  1878 – 1879

Style:  Romanesque and Georgian

Architect:  J C Cochrane of Chicago, Illinois

Contractor:  Thomas and Hugh Colwell of Ottawa, Illinois

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a small portico supported by four columns with balcony above. On the center of the roof is a high square brick clock tower with red colored roof. In 1907 the north and south towers were added with the architects being Beers and Beers of Chicago. A further addition was added in 1928. The building houses a museum.

 

Note:  The cost of construction of the courthouse was $52,000.00. The brick facade is made of local bricks from the Henry Wise brickyard. The towers were added in 1907 and dedicated in 1909. The additional cost was $160,000.00.

 

Note:  Previous courthouses were built in 1836 and 1850.


County Courthouse – Crown Point

 

2729k10

 

Location:  2293   North Main Street / West 93rd Avenue

Built:  1971 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  L Cosby Bernard & Associates of Hammond

Contractor:  Calumet Construction Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a two story iron framed, glass and concrete structure. The south front has Iron girders running vertically and horizontally with recessed vertical glass windows. The roof line is flat. The building is connected on the northeast corner to the County Administration which is along the east side. Spaciouis grounds surround the complex.

 

County Administration – Crown Point

 

1462mc08

 

Location:  2293   North Main Street / West 93rd Avenue

Built:  1971 – 1974

Style:  Modern

Architect:  L Cosby Bernard & Associates of Hammond

Contractor:  Calumet Construction Corporation

 

Description:  The building faces east and is a three story iron framed, glass and concrete structure. The east front has a central entrance with large two story foyer. The roof line is flat. The building is connected at the northwest corner to the County Courthouseis which is along the west side. Spaciouis grounds surround the complex.

 

Other Branch Courthouses

 

East Chicago  /  Gary  /  Hammond

 

Courthouses: 

N – Lake Michigan 

E – Porter County

S – Jasper County and Newton County

W – Kankakee County, Illinois, Will County, Illinois and Cook County, Illinois

 

 

1477mc08

 

 

1468mc08

 

 

1466mc08

 

 

1467mc08

 

 

1469mc08

 

 

1471mc08

 

 

1473mc08

 

 

1476mc08

 

 

1474mc08

 

 

2731k10

 

 

2730k10

 

 

1464mc08

 

 

1463mco8

Photos taken 2008 and 2010