Peoria County is named for the Indian tribe called the Peorias, one of the tribes from the Illinois confederacy.
Created: January 13, 1825
Peoria 1825 – present
County Courthouse – Peoria
Location: 324 Main Street / Jefferson Avenue
Built: 1962 – 1964
Architect: Lankton-Ziegele Terry & Associates
Contractor: O Frank Heinz Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story stone, concrete and glass structure. Along the first story is dark polished stone divided by narrow stone faced dividers and with narrow windows above the stone. On the east section of the south side, windows extend above the main glass entrance. On the east side and north side are five story light stone faced rectangular wings. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed on the north side from 1988 to 1990. The architect was Phillips Swager Associates Inc. and the contractor was C Iber & Sons Inc.
S – Tazewell County
Photos taken 2007, 2010 and 2012