Knox County is named for Henry Knox, who was a hero of the American Revolutionary War and was a Secretary of State under President George Washington.
Created: January 13, 1825
J B Gum (Henderson) 1830 – 1831
Knoxville 1831 – 1873
Galesburg 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Galesburg
Location: 200 South Cherry Street / East Tompkins Street
Built: 1884 – 1886
Architect: Elijah E Myers of Philadelphia
Contractor: Dawson & Anderson
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick structure. The east front has arched entrance. On the northeast corner is a large square tower rising five stories to clock with turrets on the corners and steep roof which rises to a square top with smaller roof.
See: The architect, Elijah E Myers of Philadelphia, also designed the now demolished courthouse in Seneca County, Ohio and in Illinois in McDonough County, in Indiana in Grant County and in Ohio in Lorain County..
Old County Courthouse – Knoxville
Location: 35 North Public Square / North Market Street
Built: 1839 – 1840
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: John Mandeville
Contractor: Alvah Wheeler and Zelotes Cooley of Hancock County
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is rectangular and located on spacious grounds. The south front has a large porch with four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The fluting on the exterior of the Doric columns is made out of plaster. On the second story is a balcony. On the center of the roof is an octagonal white colored cupola. Most of the interior woodwork is original made of pine and butternut.
Old County Hall of Records – Knoxville
Location: 33 North Public Square / North Market Street
Built: 1854 – 1855
Style: Colonial Revival
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located on spacious grounds with the old courthouse on the east side. The south front has a projecting center section with framed entrance and pediment at the roof line. The walls are thick to provide a fireproof building. A wide cornice runs below the roof line. The building became the Public Library and is now the Knoxville City Hall.
N – Henry County
S – Fulton County
Photos taken 2007 and 2015