Marshall County is named for John Marshall, who was the Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court from 1801 to 1835.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
E – La Salle County
W – Stark County
Created: January 19, 1839
Lacon 1850 – present
County Courthouse – Lacon
Location: 122 North Prairie Street / 5th Street
Built: 1853 – 1854
Style: Georgian Revival
Architect: Comegys & Brother and Card and Haggard
Contractor: Comegys & Brother and Card and Haggard
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Lacon. The west front has a framed entrance with a double window above on the second story. The window headers a light colored stone. The base of the building is a course stone. A wide horizontal band runs along the roof line with a pediment above the entrance. The roof is hipped. In the interior, the courtroom is located on the second story. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 10th Judicial Circuit. The superintendents were John W Bettis, Theodore Perry and H L Crane. A two addition was added to the east side of the building and a one story buff colored brick addition was constructed on the north side.
History: The county was created in 1839 and Lacon was selected as the county seat in 1840. The first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1840 at a cost of $8,000. The courthouse burned on January 5, 1853. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1853 to 1854 at a cost of $7,352.
Photos taken 2006