Woodford County is named for Woodford County in Kentucky from which many of the settlers arrived, and which county was named for William Woodford, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 27, 1841
Versailles 1841 – 1843
Metamora 1843 – 1894
Eureka 1894 – present
County Courthouse – Eureka
Location: 115 North Main Street / East Court Street
Built: 1897 – 1898
Architect: Bell and Kent from Council Bluffs, Iowa
Contractor: H C Bruning of Havana
Description: The building faces west and is a three story gray colored limestone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The west front has a projecting center section with arched entrance. The north and south center sections also project. The first story is course stone. On the center of the roof is a square dome with green colored roof and small cupola at the top.
Old County Courthouse – Metamora
Location: 113 East Partridge Street / Menard Street
Built: 1845 – 1846
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: David Irving
Contractor: David Irving
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red colored brick structure. The south front has a large porch with four large white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with octagonal top section. The building faces south to the Village Green.
W – Peoria County
Old County Courthouse
Pfotos taken 2008