La Salle County is named for Robert de La Salle, a French explorer who navigated the length of the Mississippi River and claimed the Louisiana Territory for France.
Created: January 15, 1831
Ottawa 1831 – present
Old County Courthouse – Ottawa
Location: 119 West Madison Street / La Salle Street
Built: 1881 – 1883
Architect: Minard L Beers
Contractor: T Colwell and H Colwell
Description: The building faces north and is a four story structure. The building has a large arched portico rising to the third story. Above is a clock. On the third and fourth stories, are high arched windows in the north section of the building. A decorative cornice follows the roof line.
County Courthouse – Ottawa
Location: 707 Etna Road / Cherie Lane
Built: 1974 – 1975
Architect: Phillips Swager Associates Inc. of Peoria
Contractor: J L Wroan & Sons, Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a four story concrete, brick and glass box like structure. The building is faced with dark red brick. The central entrance has a glassed atrium. The windows form horizontal lines across the building. The roof line is flat.
See: Illinois Appellate Court – Ottawa - Third District
Photos taken 2007 and 2010