Monroe County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Monroe County
Monroe

Monroe County is named for James Monroe, who became the fifth President of the United States from 1817 to 1825.

 

Created:  January 6, 1816

County Seat:

Harrisonville  1816 – 1825

Waterloo       1825 – present

 

County Courthouse – Waterloo

 

Location:  100 South Main Street / East Mill Street

Built:  1851 – 1853

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Lloyd Prater

Contractor:  Lloyd Prater

 

Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick structure. The original west section has white wood trim around the west entrance. The windows have stone headers and the base of the building is a light colored stone. In 1903 the north and south wings were added. On the east side a modern addition was constructed in 1994 to 1995. The architect was EWR Associates, Inc. of Belleville and the contractor was Turner Construction Company of St. Louis, Missouri.

 

Courthouses: 

N – St. Louis County, Missouri and  Saint Clair County

E – Saint Clair County and Randolph County

S – Randolph County and Ste. Genevieve County, Missouri

W– Jefferson County, Missouri and St. Louis County, Missouri

 

 

 

 

1496k07

 

 

1498k07

 

 

1499k07

 

 

408i12

 

 

2392wv12

 

 

2393wv12

 

 

2396wv12

Photos taken 2007 and 2012