Randolph County is named for Edmund Randolph, who was a soldier in the American Revolutionary War, Secretary of State and Attorney General.
Created: October 5, 1795
Kaskaskia 1795 – 1847
Chester 1847 – present
County Courthouse – Chester
Location: 1 Taylor Street / State Street
Built: 1972 – 1974
Architect: Hanner, Breitweise & McLaughlin Architects Inc.
Contractor: Chester Industrial Contractors, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The east front has two stories with the centre entrance at street level. The west side of the building descends the steep bank to form three stories. Over the east entrance is a large concrete panel with the county crest in the centre. On either side of the entrance section are vertical concrete dividers with narrow horizontal windows between. Around the roofline is a wide grennish vertical marked concrete band.
Photos taken 2007 and 2012