St. Louis County

US States / M / Missouri / St. Louis County
St. Louis

St. Louis County is named for the patron saint of King Louis XV of France.

 

Created:  October 1, 1812 

County Seat: 

St. Louis  1812 – 1876

Clayton    1876 – present

 

County Courthouse – Clayton

 

Location:  2900 Carondelet Avenue / South Central Avenue

Built:  1968 – 1971

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Murphy, Downey, Wofford and Richman of St. Louis

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a six story red colored brick, concrete glass structure. The building sits on the south side of the St. Louis County Memorial Plaza. The first story is recessed with concrete pillars. The top three stories have vertical windows. The stories extend outwards as they rise. The roof line is flat.  The building is named as the Courts Building.

 

Note:  The first courthouse was designed by F A Renick and constructed by Rude and Luke in 1878 at a cost of $38,000. An addition was constructed in 1912. The second courthouse or courthouse annex was designed by Preston Bradshaw and constructed by H D Deal & Company in 1949 at a cost of $1,155,415. The 1878 courthouse was torn down in 1971 when the present courthouse and administration building were constructed. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $18,602,266.

 

County Justice Center – Clayton

 

1533m09

 

Location:  100 South Central Street / Carondelet Avenue

Built:  1993 – 1996

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum and Sverdrup Facilities Inc.

Contractor:  McCarthy / CRSS

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a nine story red colored brick, blue colored glass and concrete structure. The building faces west and was completed in 1996. The building has a semi-circular projecting section, a blue colored glass projecting section and vertical glass wall sections. The roof line is flat. A second story bridge connects to the Courts Building on the west side. The building is named as the Buzz Westfall Justice Center.

 

Old County Courthouse – Clayton

 

1529m09

 

Location:  7900 Forsyth Avenue / South Central Avenue

Built:  1947 – 1949

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Preston Bradshaw

Contractor:  H D Deal & Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a seven story red colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building sits on the north side of the St. Louis County Memorial Plaza. On the north side are three rectangular entrances on the first story. On the south side is a two story portico. At the top of the fifth story a balustrade runs along the roof line and the upper stories are recessed. The building is named as the St. Louise County Police Headquarters.

 

Note: The building was constructed at a cost of $1,155,000 and was constructed as an annex to the 1878 courthouse which stod on the south side until torn down in 1971.

 

County Administration – Clayton

 

1527m09

 

Location:  41 South Central Street / Carondelet Avenue

Built:  1968 – 1970

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Murphy, Downey, Wofford and Richman of St. Louis

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a twelve story red -orange colored brick and concrete  structure. The building sits on the east side of the St. Louis County Memorial Plaza. The building is named as the Lawrence K Roos Government Building.

 

Courthouses: 

N – St. Charles County

E – Madison County, Illinois, St. Louis City, Saint Clair County, Illinois and  Monroe County, Illinois

S – Jefferson County

W – Franklin County

 

 

 

1521m09

 

 

1522m09

 

 

1523m09

 

 

1524m09

 

 

1535m09

 

 

1532m09

 

 

1534m09

 

 

1531m09

 

 

533f15

 

 

535f15

 

 

536f15

 

 

1530m09

 

 

1525m09

 

 

1526m09

 

 

1528m09

 

 

542f15

 

 

543f15

 

 

545f15

Photos taken 2009 and 2015