Perry County is named for Oliver Hazard Perry, who was a Commodore in the United States navy and who defeated the British in the decisive Battle of Lake Erie in 1813.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – Jackson County
W – Randolph County
Created: February 28, 1839
Pinckneyville 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Pinckneyville
Location: 1 Public Square / Main Street
Built: 1849 – 1850
Architect: Daniel W Norris
Contractor: Daniel W Norris
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Pinckneyville. The east and west wings extend from the main building and have peaked roofs. The recessed center section has two doorways each framed with stone. The courtroom is located on the second story. The building was enlarged in 1877. The architect was John Chapman and the contractor was William Wilson.. The building was remodeled in 1939 and 1940 to the Moderne style under the Work Projects Administration. The architect was S Thompson of Carbondale and the contractor was Edward F Bartels Construction Company. The building was further remodeled in 1993 and 1994.
County Administration – Pinckneyville
Location: 3764 Route 127 South / Cottontail Road
Description: The building faces south and is a one story red colored brick structure. The building is located south of the center of Pinckneyville.
County Courthouse - Pinckneyville
Construction contract 1939
Photos taken 2008 and 2012