DeKalb County is named for Johann DeKalb, who was a German who fought in the Revolution.
Created: March 4, 1837
Orange (Sycamore) 1837 – 1839
Cottonville 1839 – 1840
Sycamore 1840 – present
County Courthouse – Sycamore
Location: 133 West State Street / North Main Street
Built: 1904 – 1905
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Herbert T Hazelton of Watson & Hazelton
Contractor: William J. McAlpine
Description: The building faces south and is a three story stone structure. The south front has four large ionic columns rising from the second story to the parapet which is Greek style with a monument mounded above. The base is horizontal stone. A balustrade rounds along the base of the second story and along the roof line. In 2011 to 2012, a four story addition was constructed on the north side. The architect was Dewberry and the contractor was Gilbane Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was constructed in 1850 by William Phelps and the building was enlarged in 1863.
County Administration – Sycamore
Location: 110 East Sycamore Street / North Main Street
Built: 1981 – 1982
Architect: Burnidge Cassell and Associates
Contractor: Walker Structural Engineers and Klaucens and Associates Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story concrete and glass structure. The northwest section of the building has a recessed entrance on the north side. On the northwest are horizontal windows on the first and second stories. The east wing descends a slight slope. The roof line is flat.
County Legislative Center – Sycamore
Location: 200 North Main Street / East Exchange Street
Built: 2000 – 2002
Architect: Wold Associates & Engineers
Contractor: Rockford Structures Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The south front has a projecting one story section with the entrance on the west side entering the two story section. The roof line is flat.
S – La Salle County
Photos taken 2007 and 2012