Kane County is named for Elias K Kane, who was a the first Secretary of State of Illinois and a state Senator.
Created: January 16, 1836
Geneva 1836 – present
Old County Courthouse – Geneva
Location: 100 South 3rd Street / James Street
Built: 1881 – 1882
Architect: W J Edbrooke and Franklin P Burnham of Chicago
Contractor: C A Moses
Description: The building faces east and is a four story red colored stone block structure. The central section extends from the main building with three large archways on the first floor at the entrance. In the center of the building is a large square tower with rounded green colored roof.
County Judicial Center Courthouse – Saint Charles
Location: 37W777 Route 38
Built: 1993 – 1996
Architect: Wight and Company of Darien
Contractor: Frederick Quinn Corporation
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The north front has a high concrete central section. The third story has horizontal windows. The roof is sloped.
See: The Illinois Appellate Court – Elgin is located in Elgin.
N – McHenry County
S – Kendall County
W – DeKalb County
Photos taken 2007 and 2011