Lee County is named for Richard Henry Lee, who was an orator and statesman of the American Revolutionary War.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Ogle County
E – DeKalb County
S – La Salle County
W – Whiteside County
Created: February 27, 1839
Dixon 1839 – present
County Courthouse – Dixon
Location: 112 East 2nd Street / South Galena Avenue
Built: 1899 – 1901
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Charles E Brush
Contractor: William J McAlpine
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray stone and concrete structure. The building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of Courthouse Square. The base has horizontal lines. A decorative cornice runs along the roof line. The north front of the building has three stone arches on the first story and four large columns rising from the second to the top of the third story. At the roof over the entrance is a high stone balustrade with ornamental decorations. In the center is a large dome with green colored roof. In the interior, the former courtroom on the third story is now the County Board Meeting Room. There was another smaller courtroom. The building now houses the County Administration.
County Judicial & Public Healths Building – Dixon
Location: 309 South Galena Avenue / West 3rd Street
Built: 1982 – 1983
Architect: Orput Associates Inc.
Contractor: Prescott Construction Company
Description: The building faces northeast and is a four story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of Dixon to the southwest of the courthouse. The entrance is located on the second story at the northeast corner. The roof line is flat. In the interior are four courtrooms. The building houses the County Circuit Court of the 15th Judicial Circuit. The building was named as the County Courts Building and is now named as the County Judicial & Public Health Building. An addition was constructed in 2004 to 2005 and named as the Services Building. The architects were KMW Associates of Roxbury, Massachusetts and Green Associates Inc. of Deerfield and the contractor was Russell Construction of St Louis, Missouri
History: The county was created in 1839 and Dixon was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a brick structure built in 1840 to 1841 by Samuel M Bownan on the northeast corner of East Third Street and Ottawa Avenue at a cost of $7,610. An addition was constructed in 1876 and the building was demolished in 1900. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1899 to 1901 at a cost of $103,395. The county Courts Building was constructed in 1982 to 1983. An addition was constructed in 2004 to 2005.
County Courthouse – Dixon
County Courts Building – Dixon
Photos taken 2006 and 2008