Kenora District is named for the combination of the names of the towns of Keewatin, Norman and Rat Portage.
Kenora 1818 – present
Courthouse – Kenora
Location: 216 Water Street / 2nd Street
Built: 1910 – 1911
Architect: Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto
Contractor: M A Pigott and Son of Hamilton
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick, granite and concrete structure. The north front has a small portico with balcony on the second story at the central entrance on the first story. The entrance is recessed. The east and west sections project slightly from the main building. The windows have stone trim along the top. On the centre of the roof is a hexangonal white coloured wood cupola with windows. The roof is hipped with a dormer on the east and west sides. The base of the building is rough cut stone. The plaster work was done by William J Hynes and Berlin Interior Hardware Company supplied the furnishings. A modern addition was constructed in 1969 on the south side of the building. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice.
See: The architect, Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto, was chief architect for the Ontario Department of Public Works and he designed courthouses in Algoma District, Cochrane District, Muskoka District Municipality, Rainy River District, Sudbury District, Thunder Bay District and Timiskaming District.
Note: The first courthouse was built at Rat Portage in 1882 to 1883. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $33,684.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Manitoba and Hudson Bay
E – Hudson Bay and Cochrane District
Photos taken 2011 and 2016