Cochrane District is named for Frank Cochrane, who was a former mayor of Sudbury and a minister of Lands & Forests and federal minister of Railways and Canals.
Cochrane 1921 – present
Courthouse – Cochrane
Location: 149 4th Avenue / 4th Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto
Contractor: A R Holmes Limited of Toronto
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The east front has a projecting centre section with central recessed entrance on the first story. A projecting eave runs below the flat roof line.
See: The architect, Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto, was chief architect for the Ontario Department of Public Works and he designed courthouses in Algoma District, Kenora District, Muskoka District Municipality, Rainy River District, Sudbury District, Thunder Bay District and Timiskaming District.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Kenora District and Hudson Bay
E – Hudson Bay and Quebec
Photos taken 2016