Timiskaming District is named for Lake Timiskaming which is named for the Algonquin word “tim” meaning “deep” and “kami” meaning “open water”.
Haileybury 1912 – present
Courthouse – Haileybury
Location: 393 Main Street / Georgian Avenue
Built: 1922 – 1923
Architect: Francis Riley Heakes of Toronto
Description: The building faces south and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice and the Ontario Court of Justice.
See: The architect, Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto, was chief architect for the Ontario Department of Public Works and he designed courthouses in Algoma District, Kenora District, Muskoka District Municipality, Rainy River District, Sudbury District, Thunder Bay District and Timiskaming District.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1914 and burned in 1922.
Other Branch Courthouses
E – Quebec
W – Sudbury District
Photos taken 2006 and 2016