Thunder Bay District is named for Thunder Bay at the head of Lake Superior and is the amalgamation of Port Arthur and Fort William.
Thunder Bay ( Port Arthur ) 1871 – present
Old Courthouse – Thunder Bay ( Port Arthur )
Location: 277 Camelot Street / Court Street
Built: 1923 – 1924
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto
Contractor: J McDiarmid Company of Winnipeg, Manitoba
Description: The building faces southeast and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located at the top of a slope with park in front. The southeast front has a projecting centre section with arched stone framed entrance on the first story. Four columns rise from the second story to the top of the third story with pediment above. Fossil-bearing limestone was used in the columns and trim. Horizontal stone belts run above the first story and below the flat roof line. The court has moved to the new courthouse and the building is vacant.
See: The architect, Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto, was chief architect for the Ontario Department of Public Works and he designed courthouses in Algoma District, Cochrane District, Kenora District, Muskoka District Municipality, Rainy River District, Sudbury District and Timiskaming District.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Kivas Tully and built by H R Sime of Port Arthur in 1871. The second courthouse was built by Purdy Mansell Ltd. Of Toronto in 1876. The cost of construction of the third courthouse was $256,057.
Courthouse – Thunder Bay ( Fort William )
Location: 125 Brodie Street / Miles Street
Built: 2010 – 2013
Architect: Plenary Group, ,Adamson Associates Architects, RicciGreene Associates and Johnson Controls Limited Partnership
Contractor: Bird Design-Build Construction Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a seven story red coloured brick, concrete and glass structure. The east front has a plaza with one story canopy supported by thin columns with recessed glass entrance. The north side of the building is two stories with horizontal windows. The southeast side has a two story glass and concrete section. On the south side of the building is the high tower section with red coloured brick facing and glass and panels on the north and south sides. The southwest section has a high tower section of white coloured concrete. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Superior Court of Justice, Provincial Court and court offices.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $30,000,000.
Old Provincial Courthouse – Thunder Bay ( Fort William )
Location: 1805 Arthur Street East / Brunswick Street
Description: The building faces south and is a three story red colored brick and concrete structure. The roof line is flat. The court has moved to the new courthouse and the building is vacant.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Kenora District
S – Lake Superior and Minnesota
Photos taken 2006 and 2015