Sudbury District is named for Sudbury in Suffolk County, England, which was the hometown of Canadian Pacific Railway commissioner James Worthington’s wife.
Sudbury 1894 – present
Courthouse – Sudbury
Location: 155 Elm Street / Lorne Street
Built: 1907 – 1908
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and is rectangular with central entrance on the north side. The roof line is flat. An addition was constructed on the west side in 1961. The architect, Castellan James + Partners is completing renovations.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto in 1907. The building was demolished when the present courthouse was constructed.
See: The architect, Frank Riley Heakes of Toronto, was chief architect for the Ontario Department of Public Works and he designed courthouses in Algoma District, Cochrane District, Kenora District, Muskoka District Municipality, Rainy River District, Thunder Bay District and Timiskaming District.
Other Branch Courthouses
N – Algoma District
W – Algoma District
Photos taken 2016