Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: December 22, 1852
Port Townsend 1852 – present
County Courthouse – Port Townsend
Location: 1820 Jefferson Street / Cass Street
Built: 1890 – 1892
Architect: Willis A. Ritchie
Contractor: John Rigby and C P Wakeman
Description: The building faces south and is a three story stone and dark red colored brick and sandstone structure. On the south front is a large arched entrance on the first story. The west side also has a recessed arched entrance. There is a large square brick clock tower which rises 143 feet on the southeast corner. On the other corners are round towers with dome roofs. The roof is hipped with gable ends. The base of the building is grey colored stone. The courtroom on the third story is a massive room decorated with handcarved solid oak paneling.
Note: The cost of construction was $125,000 and eleven stone-cutters and twelve mason were utilized. The building is the oldest courthouse in Washington. The clock was shipped around Cape Horn and has been in service for over seventy-six years.
See: The architect Willis A. Ritchie also designed the courthouse in Spokane County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Jefferson County Courthouse
Photos taken 2006 and 2016