Clallam County is named for the Native American word “klallam” meaning “strong people”.
Created: April 26, 1854
New Dungeness 1854 – 1890
Port Angeles 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Port Angeles
Location: 319 Lincoln Street / East 4th Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Francis Grant
Contractor: Sound Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has two large white columns supporting a header and framing the entrance. Which section extends from the main building. A protruding cornice runs below the roof line. In the center of the building rises a large square brick clock tower. The bell in the tower was shipped around Cape Horn from Boston. An addition was constructed on the east side in 1979. An addition was constructed on the east side in 1979. The architect was BJSS ( Bennett, Johnson, Slenes & Smith ) of Seattle and the contractor was Peter Kiewit Sons Company, of Seattle.
E – Jefferson County
S – Jefferson County
Photos taken 2006 and 2016