Kitsap County is named for Chief Kitsap, who was the chief of the Suquamish Native American tribe.
Created: January 16, 1857
Port Madison 1857 – 1893
Port Orchard 1893 – present
County Courthouse – Port Orchard
Location: 614 Division Street / Cline Avenue
Built: 1934 – 1935
Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building has a concrete framed entrance with vertical divider in the center and glass windows on either side. On the east side of the entrance is a stone section. The windows have green colored panels between the first and second stories. The original building was “U” shaped. The building was expanded in 1947 to 1948. The architect was Kenneth G Branch. Further additions were constructed in 1969, 1970, 1971, 1974 and 1978.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Port Madison. In 1893, the county seat was moved to Sidney ( Port Orchard ) and the second courthouse was built. The building was torn down when the “U” shaped 1935 courthouse was constructed.
County Administration – Port Orchard
Location: 619 Division Street / Cline Avenue
Built: 2005 – 2007
Architect: Miller Hull Partnership
Contractor: Swinerton Builders
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark buff colored concrete and glass structure.
W – Jefferson County
Second Courthouse – Port Orchard
Third Courthouse 1935 before expansion – Port Orchard
Photos taken 2006 and 2016