Spokane County

US States / V-Z / Washington / Spokane County
Spokane

Spokane County is named for the Spokane Native American tribe who resided in the region.

 

Created:  October 30, 1879

County Seat: 

Spokane  1879 – present

 

County Courthouse – Spokane 

 

Location:  1116 Broadway Street  / North Jefferson Street

Built:  1893 – 1895

Style:  French Renaissance Revival

Architect:  Willis A. Ritchie

Contractor:   David Fotheringham

 

Description:  The building  faces south and is a four story light cream colored dry pressed brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a large square stone tower rising 125 feet at the central front of the building. There is a round arched entrance at the first story and at the top of the tower is a conical roof surrounded by sharply tapering pinnacles. Two large wings decorated with minarets at the corners, flank the central section of the building.

 

Note:  The cost of construction was $340,000.

 

See:  The architect Willis A. Ritchie also designed the courthouse in Jefferson County.

 

County Courthouse Annex – Spokane 

 

0510wc16

 

Location:  1116 Broadway Street  / North Jefferson Street

Built:  1954 – 1955

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Whitehouse & Price Architects

Contractor:   Busboon & Rauch

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a five story cream colored brick and concrete structure. The rectangular building is located on the north side of the courthouse wad is connected along the south side. The north side has a central entrance. A projecting cornice runs along the flat roof line. In 2005, the building was renovated.

 

County Juvenile Courthouse – Spokane 

 

0514wc16

 

Location:  1208 West Mallon Avenue / North Jefferson Street

Built:  1939 – 1940

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Henry G Bertelsen

Contractor:  J T Halin & Company

 

Description:  The building  faces south and is a three story cream colored brick and concrete structure.  The building is located on the northwest side of the courthouse. The central entrance has a small projection over the recessed doorway. The roof line is flat. 

 

County District Courthouse – Spokane Valley

 

0539wc16

 

Location:  12710 East Sprague Avenue / Houk Road

Built:  1998 – 1999

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Reeves Associates Inc.

Contractor:  Vandervert Construction Inc. of Spokane

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a one story light cream colored concrete structure. The building is located in a shopping mall and was formerly a PEP Boys Store. The north front of the square shaped building has a central glassed section with green colored canopy and a wide green colored band running horizontally. The roof line is flat. The project manager was Adam & Clark Inc. of Spokane. The building was remodeled in 2002. The architect was Kent Chadwell/Zeck Butler Architects. The building houses the Sheriff Precinct and District Court. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Stevens County and Pend Oreille County

E – Bonner County, Idaho, Kootenai County, Idaho and Benewah County, Idaho

S – Whitman County

W – Lincoln County and Stevens County

 

 

 

0518wc16

 

 

107wc06

 

 

108wc06

 

 

0492wc16

 

 

0493wc16

 

 

0494wc16

 

 

0498wc16

 

 

0499wc16

 

 

0501wc16

 

 

0503wc16

 

 

0504wc16

 

 

0505wc16

 

 

0506wc16

 

 

0507wc16

 

 

0508wc16

 

 

0489wc16

 

 

0511wc16

 

 

0512wc16

 

 

0515wc16

 

 

0516wc16

 

 

0517wc16

 

 

0537wc16

 

 

0540wc16

 

 

0538wc16

 

 

0541wc16

Pictures taken 2006 and 2016