Island County

US States / V-Z / Washington / Island County
726O12

Isalnd County is named for Whidbey Island which forms the county.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – San Juan County and Skagit County

E – Skatgit County and Snohomish County

S – Kitsap County

W – Jefferson County and San Juan County

 

Created:  January 6, 1853                      Map of Washington highlighting Island County

County Seat: 

Ebey’s Landing       1853 – 1869

Cloveland                1869 – 1881

Coupeville               1881 – present

 

County Courthouse – Coupeville

 

Location:  1 NE 7th Street / North Main Street

Built:  1947 – 1948

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  William Arild Johnson

Contractor:  T D MacNeil

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a two story cream colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Coupeville. The north front has four vertical concrete dividers with five bay having large windows on the second story and a central entrance on the first story. The east and west wings are lower. The roof line is flat. In 2003, the building was remodelled to become the Administration Building. The architect was Bryan G Young and the contractor was Hanson Brothers Construction, Inc.

 

County Law and Justice Center – Coupeville

 

741o12

 

Location:  101 NE 6th Street / NE Center Street

Built:  2000 – 2001

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Bryan G Young

Contractor:  Haskell Corporation

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a two story cream colored concrete and glass structure. The building islocated on landscaped grounds in the center of Coupevill to the southwest of the courthouse. The west front has a recessed central entrance with the second story extending over the entrance porch. The windows are sets of three vertical windows. There is a one story north wing. On the south side of the west front is a skywalk crossing Center Street to the Courthouse Annex located to the west. The roof line is flat. The building is named as the County Law and Justice Center.

 

County Annex Building – Coupeville

 

735o12

 

Location:  1 NE 6th Street / NE Center Street

Built:  1972 – 1973

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Donn Sibold

Contractor:  Parkhurst & Lange

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a two story cream colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Coupeville to the west of the courthouse. The east front has a small porch supported by two pillars at the central entrance. The roof line is flat. On the south part of the front is a skywalk crossing Center Street to the County Law and Justice Center located to the east. The building was remodeled in 2003. The architect was Bryan G Young and the contractor was Hanson Brothers Construction, Inc.

 

Old County Courthouse – Cloveland 

 

1684wc16

 

Location:  2251 Madrona Way / Kennedy Lagoon Court

Built:  1855

Style:  Wood Frame

Architect:  Thomas Cranney and Lawrence. Grennan

Contractor:  Thomas Cranney and Lawrence. Grennan

 

Description:  The building  faces east and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious grounds at Cloveland on Penn Cove to the north of Coupeville. The east front has a central entrance on the first story. The roof is hipped. On the west side is a one story addition with sloped roof. The building is now a private residence. 

 

Note:  The building was the Grennan & Cranney General Store in Cloveland and served as the first courthouse from 1855 until 1881. The building is the oldest building in Washington that served as a courthouse.

 

Old County Courthouse – Coupeville

 

1668wc16

 

Location:  5 NW Front Street / Main Street

Built:  1864

Style:  Wood Frame

Architect:  Unknown

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building  faces north and is a two story gray-blue coloured wood frame structure. The building is located in the center of Coupeville. The north front has a long porch with central entrance and the porch extends along the east side. On the hipped roof are two dormers. The building was originally built as a grist mill but was not used as a mill. From 1864 to 1865, the building served as the courthouse. The building is known as the John Robertson House and is now the Seaside Spa and Salon.

 

History:  The county was created in 1853 and Ebey’s Landing was the temporary county seat. The first meeting of the commissioners was held at the home of John and Francis Alexander. The first courthouse was the general store of Lawrence Grennan and Thomas Cranney built in 1855. The home of John Robertson in Coupeville was used as the second courthouse from 1864 to 1865. The first courthouse was used again and the county seat was established at Cloveland in 1869. In 1871, the county purchased the first courthouse.  The county seat was moved to Coupeville in 1881. The third courthouse was designed and built by Howard B Lovejoy of Coupeville in 1890 to 1891. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1947 to 1948. The Law & Justice Center was constructed in 1972 to 1973.

 

 

730o12

County Courthouse – Coupeville

 

 

728o12

 

 

1648wc16

 

 

1650wc16

 

 

732o12

 

 

1661wc16

County Law and Justice Center – Coupeville

 

 

743o12

 

 

1659wc16

 

 

745o12

 

 

1660wc16

 

 

1662wc16

 

 

1663wc16

 

 

1664wc16

 

 

1666wc16

 

 

1654wc16

County Annex Building – Coupeville

 

 

1653wc16

 

 

1655wc16

 

 

1656wc16

 

 

1685wc16

Old County Courthouse – Cloveland

 

 

1686wc16

 

 

1687wc16

 

 

1688wc16

 

 

1671wc16

Old County Courthouse – Coupeville

 

 

1669wc16

 

 

1672wc16

 

 

1665wc16

Picture County Courthouse 1890 – 1947

Photos taken 2012 and 2016