Grays Harbor County

US States / V-Z / Washington / Grays Harbor County
Grays Harbor

Grays Harbor County is named for Grays Harbor a large estuarine bay in the southwest corner of the county, which was named after Captain Robert Gray who discovered the bay and entered it on May 7, 1792. Before 1915, the county was named Chehalis County.

 

Created:  April 14, 1854

County Seat: 

Bruceport     1854 – 1860

Montesano   1860 – present

 

County Courthouse – Montesano  

 

Location:  411 North 4th Street / West Pine Street

Built:  1910 – 1912

Style:  Beaux Arts

Architect:  Watson Vernon of Aberdeen

Contractor:  Sylliaasen & Sando of Seattle.

 

Description:  The building  faces south and is a three story dark brown colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped ground. The south front of the building has a large high portico in the center supported by four columns rising from the second to third story with a pediment above. The east and west wings project slightly from the main building. On the center of the roof is a large square dome with clock and domed roof. During the construction of the building, the superintendent was R D Vernon.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was built in 1890.

 

County Administration – Montesano  

 

1269wc16

 

Location:  411 North 4th Street / West Pine Street

Built:  1910 – 1912

Style:  Modern

Architect:  W

Contractor:  S

 

Description:  The building  faces south and

 

Courthouses: 

N – Jefferson County and Mason County

E – Mason County and Thurston County 

S – Lewis County and Pacific County

W – Pacific Ocean

 

 

 

1221wc16

 

 

1223wc16

 

 

1226wc16

 

 

1227wc16

 

 

1229wc16

 

 

1230wc16

 

 

1233wc16

 

 

1234wc16

 

 

1235wc16

 

 

1236wc16

Photos taken 2006 and 2016