Franklin County is named for Benjamin Franklin, who was a signer of the Declaration of Independence and who lived from 1706 to 1790.
Created: November 28, 1883
Ainsworth 1883 – 1887
Pasco 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Pasco
Location: 1016 North 4th Avenue / West Margaret Street
Built: 1912 – 1913
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: C Lewis Willson & Company of Seattle
Contractor: Misho & Grant General Contractors of Seattle
Description: The building faces east and is a two story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds surrounded by a fence. The east front has a large portico with two columns rising to a pediment above the second story. The first story has large arched windows. A wide horizontal band runs below the cornice which runs below the roof line. On the center of the roof is a black colored dome with clock. The building was restored in 2006. The architect was CKJT Architects of Kennewick and Cardwell Architects of Seattle and the contractor was Lydig Construction, Inc. of Spokane. The addition on the west side was constructed in 1971. The architect was Mark Pence and the contractor was George A Grant Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1884 at Ainsworth at a cost of $800. In 1887, the courthouse was moved to a site in Pasco. The present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $74,215. The cost of construction of the addition was $1,166,000.
See: The Juvenile Court is located across the Columbia River in Kennewick in Benton County.
N – Adams County
Photos taken 2009 and 2016