Columbia County

US States / V-Z / Washington / Columbia County
0804WC09

Columbia County is named for the Columbia River.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Franklin County and Whitman County

E – Garfield County 

S – Wallowa County, Oregon and Umatilla County, Oregon

W – Walla Walla County

 

Created:  November 11, 1875                Map of Washington highlighting Columbia County

County Seat: 

Dayton  1875 – present

 

County Courthouse – Dayton 

 

Location:   341 East Main Street / North 3rd Street

Built:  1887 – 1888

Style:  Late Victorian

Architect:  W H Burrows

Contractor:  A J Dexter

 

Description:  The building  faces southeast and is a two story gray colored Dexter brick and timber structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Dayton. The south front has a small one story portico with balcony. Both front and rear have a 12 foot wide stairway, constructed of embosse cast iron and supported by a concrete foundation. The east and west sides project from the main building. There is a wide eave at the roof line. Above the central south front is a peak with the Statue of Justice. On the centre of the roof is a square wood cupola with a railing at the top. The building experienced a major renovation to restore the exterior ornamental detail between 1991 and 1993.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Washington still in use as a courthouse. The construction contract for the building was awarded at a price of $32,732. A J Dexter received $10,745, for the stone, brick and concrete work. Kribs, Bishop and Arnold were paid $21,987 for the carpentry work. W H Burrows, an architect, was employed as superintendent of construction for a salary of $1,637. The four steel jail cells in use today cost an additional $3,700. The bricks used in the courthouse were reportedly made of local clay in the local Dexter Kiln.

 

See:  National register of Historic Places – CColumbia County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1875 and Dayton was selected as the county seat in 1878. The county used tented premises. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1886 to 1887 at a cost of $38,067.

 

 

0605wc16

County Courthouse – Dayton

 

 

0802wc09

 

 

0803wc09

 

 

0805wc09

 

 

0806wc09

 

 

0612wc16

 

 

0613wc16

 

 

0614wc16

 

 

0616wc16

 

 

0617wc16

 

 

0618wc16

 

 

0619wc16

 

 

0620wc16

 

 

0621wc16

 

 

0807wc09

 

 

0808wc09

 

 

0622wc16

Photos taken 2009 and 2016