Whitman County is named for Marcus Whitman, who was a Presbyterian missionary who was killed in 1847 by members of the Cayuse tribe.
Created: November 19, 1871
Colfax 1871 – present
County Courthouse – Colfax
Location: 404 North Main Street / East Island Street
Built: 1954 – 1955
Architect: Whitehouse, Price, Deneff and Deeble
Contractor: E R Haynes.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red-orange colored brick and concrete structure. The building is “L” shaped with a west wing and a south wing. The entrance at the south end of the west front has concrete dividers at the doors. The entrance at the south end of the west front has concrete dividers at the doors. The north section rises above the flat roof line of the main building and has concrete facing on the west front. On the roof is a large clock. The roof line is flat. On the east side is the Jail.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by George W Babcock and constructed by W White in 1889.
Photos taken 2006 and 2016